2023.10.10 Meeting Minutes
Peotone Park District
Tuesday, October 10, 2023
Board Members Present – Barb Sim, Shaun Ziems, Jackie VanOvermeiren, Lindsay Schwiesow.
Staff Present – Kelly LaMore
The meeting was called to order by President Sim at 6:03 p.m. Quorum was present.
Motion to approve minutes of the September 12, 2023 board meeting by Ziems, second by VanOvermeir. Roll call vote VanOvermeiren – yes, Ziems – yes, Schwiesow – yes, Sim – yes. Motion carried 4/0.
Public Comment – No public comment.
Financial Report – Commissioner Sim reported on the updated Quickbooks accounts. An insurance fund transfer was made to cover the changes due to the workman’s compensation audit.
Compliance Legal – Commissioner Sim reported on the filing of the quarterly tax returns and unemployment. The school board is issuing working cash bonds. Met with surveyor for legal description of Blue Devil Drive.
Maintenance Report – Jeff was unable to attend the meeting. Kelly reported on the need for infield mix, picnic table replacements, and discussion was held on the installation of the new playground climber. Board members were encouraged to make a recommendation to Kelly where they would like the climber to be located.
Managers Report – Kelly updated the board on the restroom renovation project. Discussion was held on putting in stalls and removing the exterior doors and closing it off. We are able to do mass emails through our system. It is an additional $40 per month. Kelly also reported on programs including the Disc Golf Tournament, Hot Shots Basketball League, and the Zombie Run.
Accounts Payable and Payroll –
Motion to approve by VanOvermeiren, second by Sim. Roll call vote – VanOvermeiren – yes, Ziems– yes, Schwiesow – yes, Sim – yes. Motion carried, 4/0.
Old Business –
- New Programs – Commissioner Sim will be doing a Full Moon Night Walk & Campfire program on Monday, November 27th. Kelly will contact the local Astronomy guy to see if he is interested in participating.
- Capital Improvements – Commissioner Ziems presented a capital projects schedule. Discussion was held on available funds and future projects.
- Authorize Repairs/upgrades to park facilities – Motion to approve $1950 for fall field mix by Ziems, second by VanOvermeiren. Roll call vote – Ziems – yes, VanOvermeiren – yes, Schweisow – yes, Sim – yes. Motion Carried 4/0.
- Authorize repairs/upgrades to park equipment – Tabled
New Business –
- Rec Care After School Program – Kelly reported that 8 people had filled out the Rec Care interest information questions on the website. Most were interested in occasional usage or on early dismissal days.
- Approve Levy Ordinance for current fiscal year – Tabled
- Approve participation in IAPD Legal Symposium up to $860. Motion by Sim, Second by Ziems. Roll call vote – Sim – yes, Ziems – yes, Schweisow – yes, VanOvermeiren – yes. Motion Carried 4/0.
- Approve participation in IAPD/IPRA Annual Conference – Tabled
- Motion to approve 2024 meeting schedule and meeting time of 6:30 p.m. by VanOvermeiren, 2nd by Schweisow. Roll call vote, VanOvermeiren – Yes, Ziems – Yes, Schwiesow – Yes, Sim – Yes. Motion carried, 4/0.
- Discussion on resolution for referendum to be placed on March 19, 2024 general primary ballot. Discussion was held on the need to raise the tax base to care for the park.
Correspondence/Communications/Petitions – Commissioner Sim reported the retirement of Peotone School District Steve Stein.
Commissioner Remarks – Nothing at this time.
Motion to adjourn the board meeting at 8:08 p.m. by Ziems. Second by Schweisow. Voice vote, motion carried. 4/0.
Respectfully Submitted by:
Kelly J. LaMore, Park Manager